Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Writing Assignment: "Two Feet and Rising"






This assignment is kind of complicated. I had to locate a story in our local newspaper. I had to take that story and make it into a piece of fiction that is 500 words or less. Go back and cut it down to 300 words or less. If the story was longer than 500 words I had to write a synopsis of the rest of the story.

I used a new method she taught us called, "The Bubble Method". Basically the newspaper story is the middle bubble and then I had to have 10 branches coming from that bubble with different things that have to do with the original bubble. I know right???

Example: My story was a woman was stuck at her job for 2 days because of the blizzard. That is the big bubble. Then things like no food, no beds and annoying co-workers came into play. The method is to help us organize our thoughts. So, here is what I just turned in.

Yes, I had seen the blizzard warning and went to work anyway.

Four of us made it in that day and all of us were stuck there for three days. Some tried to make their escape but only got their cars stuck on the parking lot. The snow plows raced past our driveway leaving behind something that looked like Mt. Everest. Not only could we not get out but also no one would be able to get in.

By that evening the one vending machine in the building was depleted. A dinner of pork rinds or barbeque flavored “Corn Nuts”. I wondered which person I would carve up for tomorrow’s meals if it came to that. The majority of the people I was stuck with were extremely annoying, and possibly high in protein.
When our workday had ended we went in search of entertainment. Not one TV or a deck of cards in the building. We actually had to talk to each other. We pulled a bunch of office chairs into the middle of the room and chatted about the weather reports from various family members.
“My husband says we won’t be getting out of this place for a week”, said Nancy.
Nancy’s family had been calling her cell phone about every fifteen minutes all day long. I silently prayed to God it would soon run out of juice and she had forgotten to bring a charger.
“Wow, what will we do if we are stuck here that long? How will we bathe and what will we eat?” asked Crystal.
Crystal was a little overly obsessed with her appearance. In the eight hours we had been working, I watched her tweeze random hairs from under her chin and re-apply her makeup at least ten times.
Synopsis: The aggravation with the co-workers gets worse as the hours pass. The group pilfers through all the desks to find a little more food that has to be rationed. Late in the afternoon of the 2ndday, a stranger enters the building to add to the madness. The afternoon of day three, a co-worker’s husband is able to get his four-wheel drive vehicle onto the parking lot to take everyone home. 




















































































1 comment:

  1. I like that, although I would have given you more words so you could flesh out the characters more. For instance, how long before someone killed Crystal?

    ReplyDelete