Sunday, February 27, 2011

The White Oprah Picks the Oscar Winners


Oscar night is a big deal around my house. My mother and I have had a tradition for years that we watch the show together, fix some yummy food and try to prove which of us knows more about the movies. This has gone on for more than 10 years. 

This year we are going to keep the menu simple. Pizza delivered, a cheese dip and my favorite cake in the whole world...Coca-Cola Cake. Yum yum. 

Our competition on our picks is fierce. We exchange our picks right before broadcast and grade each others so to eliminate cheating. We pick 11 of the categories and some tough ones so we don't end up with a tie. There must be a winner. 

So here are my picks for this year...I will post a comment after the show to let everyone know who the big winner was (duh it will be me). 

Best Picture: This have become much more difficult to pick since they started allowing 10 movies to be in the running but I am going to go with "The King's Speech."

Best Director: David Fincher for "The Social Network". 

Best Actor: No brainer. Hands down Colin Firth as the stuttering King in "The King's Speech". I would like to say though that my heart wants James Franco to win for "127 Hours". I imagine it would be very tough to act without other actors in a movie. He did an amazing job in this movie.

Best Actress: Ok, this one I feel very passionate about. If Natalie Portman doesn't win for "Black Swan" I will  stalk whoever they give it to until they admit Natalie deserved it and give it to her. Been hearing Annette Bening for "The Kids Are All Right". Yea, very tough to play a lesbian huh Annette? With that haircut of yours I thought you were one and Warren Beatty was your beard. Please! 

Best Supporting Actor: Easiest one to pick...Christian Bale in "The Fighter". 

Best Supporting Actress: This to me was the most difficult of all of them. My mind is saying Melissa Leo in "The Fighter". I think it will be given to Hailee Steinfeld for "True Grit". A very young actress that did an excellent job is going to sneak in and steal this one from Leo. 

Original Screenplay: "Inception". Whoever wrote this crazy movie deserves an award. My head is still spinning . 

Adapted Screenplay: "The Social Network" will take this one. 

Now we move on to the 3 tie-breaker categories because really who has a clue who will win any of these...

Costume Design: "Alice in Wonderland". When I look at all the other films in this category this one had the most elaborate costumes. 

Foreign Language Film: Been hearing a bunch about "Biutiful" so I will pick it. Viva Mexico! 

Original Song: Going with "If I Rise" from 127 Hours because my girl Florence Welch will be performing the song. Not sure why Dido isn't doing it but I will listen to Flo sing any day and be happy.

Well that is it. The show should be interesting this year because of Anne Hathaway and James Franco hosting.   
Those two are good at everything, I don't think this will be an exception. 

I gotta run and polish the TV screen and stock the fridge with beverages. Enjoy the show!  

2 comments:

  1. Good lord she slaughtered me this year! 10-6. Ouch. Gotta live with this all year now.
    Grumpy I will get the recipe posted for you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete