Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day: Most Hated Holiday By Men


Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

I wasn't going to post anything today but I saw something on the Facebook wall of our work account. A truck driver had posted that Valentine's Day should serve as a reminder that we need to behave this way most of the year instead of just this one day.

That is a good point. I feel like most men feel really pressured on Valentine's Day (just check out the photo).  On this day they must be romantic. The more romantic they are the more points they get from the wife/girlfriend/mistress/boyfriend. But let's face facts ladies, men don't like doing this. They do not like trying to figure out what piece of jewelry it will take to stay out of your dog house for at least the next 2 months. They do not like cooking you dinner. They do not like sending flowers. If you are lucky they will at least grab some half-dead roses on the way home from work and grunt at you a couple of times during the seven course meal you prepared for him. Their brains do not work like ours. We love to plan and surprise them. Guys are lucky to remember the date of Valentine's Day.

I think Mr. Truck Driver was right. There is way too much put on just this one day of the year. Guys, start doing things like making the bed in the mornings, take the trash out without being told, cook dinner occasionally (even if it is just a frozen pizza) and take the kids to school every once in awhile. I promise you she will be far less disappointed when Valentine's rolls around and you have only managed to come up with a cheap box of Russell Stover's cream filled chocolates. It's the little things that make ladies tick. Trust me, I am The White Oprah.

4 comments:

  1. As a man, I disagree with Mr. Truck Driver. I have trained my wife to let me know what she wants, and I know that abouuuuuuuut once a month she needs chocolate. She understands that us men are different, and with a little bit of work, I can still surprise her. It's not as important to be Romantic as it is to Communicate. Marriage is not supposed to be a battle; it is supposed to be fun. I enjoy our special occasions, and most of the time she works harder than I do to be romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I really don't think it has a thing to do with gender...I am a true blue girlie girl....and I stink at being romantic! I honestly don't think that I am thoughtless of others needs...but I just stink at the romance stuff. I know it when I see it...I'm great at recognizing Romeo & Juliet----but we just don't seem to be related?? So I guess my point is I think it is genetically encoded. You either are or your aren't romantic. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon, you have your wife trained?? She is not a dog. And yes, once a month we do need for you do deposit at least 2 lbs of chocolate into our hands. I agree marriage is not supposed to be a battle but sometimes they are. The give and take sometimes leans to one or the other leaving the giver a little disappointed. Thanks for your input!
    NuG yes women can suck at it too. But that is why doing the little things as I mentioned goes a long way to make up when you are lacking in the romance department. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bah, humbug. Valentine's Day is a phony holiday manufactured by the greeting card, candy and jewelry industries. I refuse to participate.

    ReplyDelete