Sunday, February 13, 2011

Grammy Awards Tonight...Brings Back Some Memories


Every year for as long as I can remember I would watch the Grammy Awards. I have always loved music and always had my favorites that I would hope would win. I often dreamed of attending one day and that actually happened on February 23rd, 2003.

I had a friend that won a trip to NYC for the show. I was asked to be her guest. I think I must have called everyone I had ever known to tell them the exciting news. Flights, hotel, transportation to and from the show and an after party. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

So from watching the show on TV all these years I thought I needed to dress up. Big mistake. We were seated in the rafters of Madison Square Garden. Not exactly the seats I had hoped for but I was at the freaking Grammy Awards! Norah Jones cleaned up that night with Record of the Year, Album of the Year, Best New Artist, Best Pop Female and Best Pop Vocal. But the best part of the whole night was some of the talent I got to see perform...Simon &Garfunkel opened the show in the middle of the arena. They had not spoken to each other in years. Amazing way to start the show. I saw Eminem, No Doubt, The Dixie Chicks, John Mayer, James Taylor, Bruce Springsteen and Coldplay perform live. There were many other performers...I think Nelly was the one I was freaking out about because he had some serious pyro effects...you could feel the heat from them all the way up in the rafters.

After the show was over we had to find our bus to take us to the after party. NYC in February is seriously cold. I had heels on and my feet were killing me. We get into the after party and started eating and drinking. All of this was free. There was not one single famous person in the room but we met lots of interesting people and had a good time.

It is a memory I will never forget...like a dream come true...bucket list kind of thing. The picture above is of me in Times Square. Can you tell I was just a tad bit excited?

This year's awards will be memorable I am sure...I have heard Lady Gaga has already arrived in an egg. Yes, an egg. Barbara Streisand will be receiving an award tonight, Rihanna will attend for the 1st time since Chris Brown beat her in the limo, Bob Dylan will perform and Mick Jagger will actually be in attendance and perform.

So get your pj's on, grab some popcorn and get ready for a great show!

2 comments:

  1. Has that guy to your right been stalking you ever since?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty much. Saw him just this past Saturday at Wal-mart.

    ReplyDelete